September 27, 2006
Ok, got the intake back on and got the rest of it back together. That was fun.
When I opened up the hood, I found that although I only left the hood cracked, the blowing rain filled my Spark plug holes FULL of water.
So I tried vacuuming the water out and that did nothing. I guess since it was a sealed hole there was no way for air to escape so I couldn't get the water out. SO I ended up pulling out those plugs, letting the water fall into the cylinder, plugging the battery in and using the starter to shoot the water out of the cylinders. It worked perfectly. After I got it all together, it ran a little rough for the first minute but it cleared up REAL quick.
I went ahead and changed the plugs because once I had the intake off I noticed that a few of the cylinders were running more rich than the rest. When I pulled out the plugs, MOST of them had burnt most of the Diode off the end of the plugs. They were probably the original plugs from looking at them.
Now for the best part. As I said previously I bought a 75mm Throttle Body. I also bought a 1" TB spacer to raise the TB up and inch. Barely got the intake tube back on from the air filter. Had to use a screw driver to stretch it on. :-)
I drove it down the road and the computer adjusted and I let it idle previously to that for the computer to catch up.
Today, I drove it to work. WOW! What a difference new plugs and the 75mm TB makes. I don't really see a difference up to half throttle but after half to full throttle it comes alive. I can actually break the rear tires loose in 1st gear from a roll(18x10 Wheels on rear). It has consistant throttle response from half throttle to full. It's like it opens up SO much more than before.
I am very happy with the mod. ;-)